Friday, April 24, 2015

Soul to Soul



Have you ever thought about what it means to have soul? About what a soul is?

Soul. This is an interesting concept, really, especially considering the many ways that we use the word; at least in English. My son says that a soul is something that is "given" to anything that is loved. He thinks that all living things can have a soul and love, not just humans or even just sentient beings. Perhaps he's right.


I think of "soul" as something personal. Something that resides inside us. I consider the concept of "soul" versus the concept of "spirit." I think of "spirit" as something outside of us, something greater. I think of it as what Christianity calls "Holy Spirit," and others refer to simply as "Spirit." Some call it "Ki," or "Chi," or "Energy."  It is something that connects us, one to the other and to something greater, to God. Perhaps it's that which science says connects us at the quantum level. Perhaps "soul" is our own little piece of that greater Spirit, living within us, yearning to be One once again with the Source - Spirit.


Maybe when we feel that "thing" that makes us say that someone "has soul," we're feeling their inner Soul reaching out to ours - we connect in some way that gives us a strong sense of that connection. The music, the spoken word, the talents that touch us the strongest; they have soul. Soul reaches across race, culture, religion...even time. Soul touching soul makes us want to be better people. For instance, when I hear Billie Holiday sing anything, my soul reaches out, I feel a sense of yearning. When I hear her sing Strange Fruit, the sadness I feel is so deep and so dark, I can't explain it in any way other than a soul to soul connection. I feel sadness, and yet I also feel love for those of whom she sings.


Like my son says, soul is something that is given to anything that is loved. And, I add, anything or anyone who loves.

Perhaps "soul" is what makes us real.

“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.' - Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit
Photo Public Domain


No comments:

Post a Comment